Dr. Forough Farrokhyar, Ph.D.
Associate Clinical Professor
Department of Surgery
Dr. Farrokhyar is a clinical epidemiologist, research methodologist and biostatistician with a specific interest in clinical research. Her areas of interests mainly include the design of comparative studies including randomized controlled trials, cohort and case-control studies, the design of registries and surveys, systematic reviews and meta-analysis. She also has research interests in the application of statistical modelling in non-randomized designs to adjust for prognostic differences, evaluations of outcomes, assessment of short-term and long-term outcomes of chronic conditions, and examination of relationships between risk factors and outcomes. Specific areas of interests cover a wide spectrum of research areas including design of surgical trials, methodological aspects of surgical trials, design of surgical registries, evidence-based practice in surgery, research ethics, studies of inflammatory bowel diseases and functional gastrointestinal disorders.
- Thoma A, Cornacchi SD, Farrokhyar F, Bhandari M, Goldsmith CH. User's guide to the surgical literature: how to assess a survey in surgery. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2011 Dec; 54(6):394-402.
- Farrokhyar F, Bajammal S, Kahnamoui K, Bhandari M. Practical tips for surgical research. Ensuring balanced groups in surgical trials. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2010 Dec; 53(6):418-423.
- Cadeddu M, Haines T, Farrokhyar F, Thoma A. User’s guide to the surgical literature: how to assess power and sample size. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2008 Dec; 51(6):476-482
- Lovrics P, Cornacchi S, Farrokhyar F, Garnett A, Chen V, Franic S, Simunovic M. The relationship between surgical factors and margin status after breast conservation surgery for early stage breast cancer. The American Journal of Surgery. 2009 Jun; 197(6):740-6.
- Mirza S, Longman RJ, Farrokhyar F, Sheffield JP, Kennedy RH. Long-term outcomes for laparoscopic versus open resection of non-metastatic colorectal cancer. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. 2008 Aug 12 Oct;18(5):679-85.
- Pervaiz N, Colterjohn N, Farrokhyar F, Tozer R, Figueredo A, Ghert M. A systematic meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials for adjuvant chemotherapy for localized resectable soft-tissue sarcoma. Cancer. 2008 Aug 1;113(3):573-81.
- Gandhi R, Marchie A, Farrokhyar F, Mahomed N. Computer navigation in total hip replacement: a meta-analysis. International Orthopaedics. 2009 Jun; 33(3):593-7.
- Pinthus JH, Kleinmann N, Tisdale B, Chatterjee S, Lu JP, Gillis A, Hamlet T, Singh G, Farrokhyar F, Kapoor A. Lower plasma adiponectin levels are associated with larger tumour size and metastasis in clear-cell carcinoma of the kidney. European Urology. 2008 Oct; 54(4):866-73.
- Mastracci TM, Thoma A, Farrokhyar F, Tandon VR, Cina CS. User’s guide to the surgical literature: how to use a decision analysis. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2007 Oct;50(5):403-9.
- Farrokhyar F, Wang X, Kent R, Lamy A. Early mortality from off-pump and on-pump coronary bypass surgery in Canada: a comparison of the STS and the EuroSCORE risk prediction algorithms. The Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2007 Sep; 23(11):879-83.
- Farrokhyar F, Chu R, Whitlock R, Thabane L. A systematic review of the quality of publications reporting coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) trials. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2007 Aug; 50(4):266-77.
- Birch DW, Misra M, Farrokhyar F. The feasibility of introducing advanced minimal access surgery into surgical practice. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2007 Aug; 50(4):256-260.
- Sprague S, Lutz K, Bryant D, Farrokhyar F, Zlowodzki M, Bhandari M. Complementary and alternative medicine use in patients with fractures. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2007 Oct;463:173-8
- Poolman RW, Farrokhyar F, Bhandari M. Hamstring tendon autograft better than bone patellar-tendon bone autograft in ACL reconstruction. A cumulative meta-analysis and clinically relevant sensitivity analysis applied to a previously published analysis. Acta Orthopaedica. 2007; 78(3):350-4.
- Whitlock R, Crowther M, Blackall M, Farrokhyar F, Teoh F. Warfarin cessation prior to cardiopulmonary bypass: lessons learned from a randomized controlled trial of oral vitamin K. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2007 Jul; 84(1):103-8.
- Ghert M, Alsaleh K, Farrokhyar F, Colterjohn N. Outcomes of an anatomically based approach to metastatic disease of the acetabulum. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2007 Jun; 459:122-7.
- Singh R, Cameron BH, Walton JM, Farrokhyar F, Borenstein SH, Fitzgerald PG. Postoperative Hirschsprung’s enterocolitis after minimally invasive Swenson's procedure. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2007 May; 42(5):885-9.
- Poolman RW, Keijser LC, de Waal Malefijt MC, Blankevoort L, Farrokhyar F, Bhandari M, Dutch Orthopaedic Association Scientific Committee. Reviewer agreement in scoring 419 abstracts for scientific orthopaedics meetings. Acta Orthopaedica. 2007; 78(2):278-84.
- Poolman RW, Struijs PA, Krips R, Sierevelt IN, Marti RK, Farrokhyar F, Bhandari M. Reporting of outcomes in orthopaedic randomized trials: does blinding of outcome assessors matter? The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. March 2007; 89(3):550-8. Review.
- Kahnamoui K, Caddedu M, Farrokhyar F, Anvari M. Laparoscopic surgery for colon cancer: a systematic review. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2007; 50(1):48-57.
- Poolman RW, Sierevelt IN, Farrokhyar F, Mazel JA, Blankevoort L, Bhandari M. Perceptions and competence in evidence-based medicine: Are surgeons getting better? A questionnaire survey of members of the Dutch Orthopaedic Association. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. 2007 Jan; 89(1):206-15.
- Caddedu M, Garnett A, Al-Anezi K, Farrokhyar F. Management of spleen injuries in the adult trauma population: A ten-year experience. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2006 Dec; 49(6):386-90.
- El-Sheikh Y, Wong I, Farrokhyar F, Thoma A. Diagnosis of finger flexor pulley injury in rock climbers: a systematic review. The Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery. 2006; 14(4):227-31.
- Lamy A, Wang X, Farrokhyar F, Kent R. A cost comparison of off-pump CABG versus on-pump CABG at one-year: The Canadian Off-Pump CABG Registry. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2006 Jun; 22(8):699-704.
- Beekman R, Crowther M, Farrokhyar F, Birch DW. Practice patterns for deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis in minimal-access surgery. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2006 Jun; 49(3):197-202.
- Whitlock RP, Young E, Noora J, Farrokhyar F, Blackall M, Teoh KH. Pulse low dose steroids attenuate post-cardiopulmonary bypass SIRS; SIRS I. Journal of Surgical Research. 2006 May; 132(2):188-194.
- Bednar DA, Bednar VA, Chaudhary A, Farrokhyar F. Tranexamic acid for homeostasis in the surgical treatment of metastatic tumors of the spine. Spine. 2006 Apr; 31(8):954-7.
- Farrokhyar F, Marshall JK, Easterbrook B, Irvine EJ. Functional gastrointestinal disorders and mood disorders in patients with inactive inflammatory bowel disease: prevalence and impact on health. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. 2006 Jan; 12(1):38-46.
- Lamy A, Farrokhyar F, Kent R, Wang X, Smith KM, Mullen JC, Carrier M, Cheung A, Baillot R; Canadian Off-Pump CABG Registry Investigators. The Canadian off-pump coronary artery bypass graft registry: a one-year prospective comparison with on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2005 Nov; 21(13):1175-81.
- Phillips S, Walton JM, Chin I, Farrokhyar F, Fitzgerald P, Cameron B. Ten-year experience with pediatric laparoscopic appendectomy—are we getting better? Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2005 May; 40(5):842-5.